Pierre Berini received his Ph.D. and M.Sc.A. degrees in Electrical Engineering from École Polytechnique de Montréal, and his B.E.Sc. and B.Sc. degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, respectively, from the University of Western Ontario.
Dr. Berini is currently a Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Ottawa, cross-appointed to the Department of Physics. He is a University Research Chair in Surface Plasmon Photonics, Director of the Centre for Research in Photonics (CRPuO) and CRPuO NanoFab, and a Canada Foundation for Innovation researcher. He was the Founder and Chief Technology Officer of Spectalis Corporation, a venture capital financed company and he continues to collaborate with industry on an ongoing basis.
Owing to his pioneering work in the field of plasmonics and nanophotonics, including nanofabrication, Dr. Berini has received wide recognition for his research excellence and leadership, including several prestigious honours:
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (RSC) for his “…highly innovative and pioneering contributions to nanophotonics, particularly to the fields of surface plasmons and metamaterials” (2018)
- Fellow of the Optical Society (OSA) “for scientific achievements that have led to remarkable new insights in the field of nanophotonics, including pioneering contributions to surface plasmon photonics” (2018)
- Distinguished University Professor, University of Ottawa (2018)
- High-Impact Research Icon, University of Malaya, Malaysia (2015)
- Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering (CAE), “for pioneering contributions to photonics, particularly to the area of surface plasmons and their application to integrated optical circuits, telecommunication devices and (bio)chemical sensors” (2012)
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), “for contributions to Surface Plasmon Photonics” (2011)
- NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement (2011)
- George S. Glinski Award for Excellence in Research of the Faculty of Engineering (2009)
- NSERC E.W.R. Steacie Memorial Fellowship (2008)
- University of Ottawa Young Researcher of the Year Award (2001)
- Premier of Ontario Research Excellence Award (2000)
- URSI Young Scientist Award (1999)
He has published 12 book chapters, over 500 scientific and technical papers in peer-reviewed periodicals and conference proceedings, and is an inventor or co-inventor on 23 patents (h = 47). He consistently contributes to the organisation of international conferences. Notably, he has been entrusted with stewardship of the most important conference series in his field—the International Conference on Surface Plasmon Photonics – SPP, as general chairman and as chairman of its steering committee.
His broad research interests include optics and photonics, electromagnetics, numerical methods, and the microfabrication of integrated optical structures. His research is currently focused on the area of plasmonics and related device applications including biosensors. Dr. Berini consults for industry, venture capital and grant councils.